Wednesday, June 27, 2018

School Shootings #23

     I saw a "March For Our Lives" sign in the back-side window of a SUV yesterday next to me in a parking lot. I found out later by Google, that the driver's name was probably Alicia Dana, the fastest woman in the world in H3 Para-Cyclist races. She propels the bike with her hands. I heard that she fell out of a tree while picking apples as a child and lost the use of her legs, but has married and has children. Nothing ventured, nothing gained so I went over to her side of the vehicle. To paraphrase, this is our conversation: "I see your sign.
What is their position on metal detectors and gunpowder-sniffing dogs at school entrances?"
     She considered a reply as she reached down from the driver's seat and pulled a wheel off her wheelchair and lifted it into the SUV. She led a hard life, I could see that. Then she replied," In an ideal world, they wouldn't be necessary."
     "But this isn't an ideal world," I quickly countere
     "I know."
     "Look, detectors have been used in big city schools for a long time. They are an immediate, direct thing that can keep guns and knives out of schools."
     "I don't like firearms. I know there's the Second Amendment, but I'm hoping the Supreme Court will find a way."
     "They're a bunch of jerks! They'll do whatever they want!"
     "You're entitled to your opinion, but I think they are decent, honorable people."
     "Well, I will think about what you have said, and I hope you will do the same for me," I said. 'Thanks for talking to me."
     "Thank you."
     Next time, I will give her my card and invite her to read my blog and see if I represented her accurately. It was obvious to me that neither Alicia nor anyone around her was for detectors and dogs, but were all in for the supposed utopia of banning the ownership of guns by the individuals, except for the elite individuals who deserved protection unlike you and me. Nick  352-359-0850  peternickerson12@yahoo.com

No comments: