Monday, November 3, 2008

Dogs, Panthers, And Freedom

THE CANINE CREW:
Rambo amazed me Saturday. Rambo is a yellow lab with a huge, heavy head and pronounced jowls. His legs are short, but his body is stocky. He weighs about a hundred pounds and is not a beautiful lab because his legs are too short, and his head is somewhat like a pit bull's. Tasha and I kept him for his character because even before he could stand as a puppy, he was crawling around his mother to see what littermates he could push around. Puppies were often clumpedd together in two or threes, probably for warmth and companionship. Somehow Rambo would find these little piles of puppies even though his eyes weren't yet open, crawl over to them, push them apart, and move on. We would laugh at the bellicoseness of the blind, crawling puppy and for that I named him "Rambo."
But Rambo is now a mature dog of about eight years, and Saturday he showed an unexpected rare side: Redbones, a beagle about fifteen years old and now deaf was sleeping in the doorway of my bedroom. Rambo wanted out of my room, but he didn't want to disturb Redbones who is very cranky. So Rambo whined and then barked for me to come. I guided him around the undisturbed Redbones. After eight years, Rambo has learned the kindness of letting sleeping dogs lie.
THE BLACK PANTHER STORY:
I finished reading "Panther" by John Caras and called Dr. David Maehr to ask him about the book. He laughed and said, "Oh, yes! I read that, first in high school, and for the second time when I began catching panthers. He's got some ridiculous stuff in it - panthers killing a bear and a big alligator."
I asked David if he remembered meeting a guy in Costa Rica who was working with margays. He had supposedly met this guy at a cat conference there.
"I've only been to the Amazon," David replied.
"This man said he met you at a cat conference, and that you were quiet and introverted."
"That's not me," David laughed.
"I can't tell you his name without his permission because he is trying to get into graduate school. This whole thing about black panthers is very controversial. But he's the only professional I've met who's said he wouldn't be surprised, indeed would expect, there to be a black panther. He says there are black margays, black lions, and black tigers."
"Well," responded David, "I've said that there are dark panthers in South America and maybe there could be some black ones genetically."
"There is some organization that has several panthers. The staff takes them around to Wal-Marts and sells panther T-shirts. I saw one of the panthers and started pointing out the Florida panther characteristics to my wife. The staff guy thought I was from the Game Commission and said they had all the necessary papers if I wanted to see them. I was flattered. But their brochure stated that the Florida panther didn't have the necessary genes to produce black panthers. Was that a correct statement?"
"No," David replied, "They can't say that."
FREEDOM'S VIGIL:
Last week Obama aired his thirty minute commercial in which he said, "I am my brother's keeper; I am my sister's keeper." Later in the week, he asked, "What is the virtuousness of selfishness?" That could have been a slam at Ayn Rand's book,
"The Virtue Of Selfishness." Obama is a hypocrite. He is not his brother's keeper because his brother lives in a hut in Kenya. He lives on $12 a year! Obama is not his sister's keeper either for his aunt lives in a ghetto. Obama made over $4 million on his two ghost-written books (he's a hypocrite as an author too). Part of that book is about the warm relationship he supposedly has with his aunt. He sells the book which is partially about his aunt, makes millions from it, and his aunt stays in the ghetto.
Finally, to add insult to injury, Obama has ordered both his brother and aunt not to talk to anyone. No money, just force. Expect the same for yourself if Obama wins. Don't be a useful idiot; vote for John McCain, the Patriot.
Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com.

No comments: