Monday, November 17, 2008

Dissing A Toastmaster

Audrey has a major problem: she goes postal when I talk with another woman. I am sure this is a habit she acquired with Henry, who at fifty is still living with his mother and not seeing another woman. A year or so ago when she exhibited this bizarre behavior, she made an attempt to justify her outburst by saying, "I don't know what I would do without Henry or you." I've gone fishing with Henry, and his talk is punctuated with crude but lewd remarks about women, so I know he's interested in women but doesn't dare to do anything about it. It's been beaten out of him. Even if Audrey and I are in the Osceola Forest, and I stop at a country store, often with only dirt floors, and get a black panther sighting from the female clerk working there, Audrey will not acknowledge the sighting when I come back to the car and tell her. It's like I'm talking to the barn wall, and while I try to remain differentiated, it takes a lot of the joy of being out in the woods away.
Ida has been coming to the Toastmasters' meetings with me because I did not have Tasha's truck available for my use when I started attending. One of the Toastmasters is an ex-hippy about my age. She is gray and overweight, but she reminds me of my hippy sister, Sarah. I enjoy talking to her, but Audrey gets livid. Last Thursday, I spent some time with her after the meeting as she was quitting Toastmasters as she found the rules too constraining. Typical hippy. When I finished, Audrey's face with contorted with feral rage. We got into the car, and she slammed the door and then slammed the sun visor around. As we drove out of the parking lot, she hissed, "She's got a bumper sticker on her car. It says, "S--- happens. She should know, because she's a bag of s---!" I decided Audrey was no longer coming to meetings with me. I will simply tell her that I have some people to talk to and am taking Tasha's car. I've already talk to Tasha and obtained her permission. If Audrey asks if it's because of what she said about the Toastmaster, I will say yes.
This is nothing new: I stopped going to church with her several years ago because of her jealous outbursts in the car after I said hello to another woman after services. Once again, I've had enough of her insane dissing. This is a rough time of the year for Audrey because her family ignores her through the holidays, but neither my acquaintances nor I are going to bear the brunt of her primitive rage.
Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com.

No comments: