Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Arrows In!

I struggle with a bad shoulder and do rows and rotator cup exercises to build it up. Still, I have to use BenGay-type ointment and Aspercreme on it daily. Recently, there was an archery instruction program on one of the outdoor channels, and the archer was demonstrating a two anchor system of shooting which would enable you to make your shot from the same position every time. One anchor was the cheek, and the other was putting your nose on the outside vane of the arrow. I tried it, and instantly my grouping of arrows was much tighter. Two arrows lost vanes, and another arrow got split by an incoming arrows. For about two weeks I have been using the double anchor concept in my practice. I have also adopted a standard I saw on another archery show: shooting from a close distance to put 10 out of 10 arrows into the target and then moving back about a yard. Then you practice at that distance until you can do 10 for 10. At that point, you got back another yard. Today, I went from about 15 yards to 16 yards. I hope I can accomplish 10 for 10 at that distance in a week.
It is cold in Florida now, but last week I encountered a black snake about four feet long on the archery range. I am slowly cleaning the range becuase I have lost several arrows on it. If I miss a shot, I immediately stop shooting and go down to the back of the range where I rake up leaves into the Yard Cart and then carry a handful of limbs back to the pile. Using only my left hand gives my right shoulder a break.
Last Tuesday in Osceola National Forest, I was driving along a sand road and saw a thin snake about eight inches long in the road in front of me. I stopped the car and got out to see if I could identify him. I couldn't, but he did not move. His head was a couple of inches off the ground, but he appeared frozen. I scuffed some sand at him. The sand actually moved him, but still he didn't move. It was a cool day, and I guess he was frozen. I had never seen a snake in such a condition. The snake and a doe deer were the only animals I saw that outing. You do not see a lot of game in the Forest, and I think it is because they are shot at from the roads. I think that is why deer in Florida are very skittish about beng viewed from the roads, and in Virginia they aren't. I speculate that the interest in that sort of thing is less intense in Virginia, and law enforcement is more pervasive. That's just a guess, as I found out years later that my step-son, Spike, had been an avid road hunter, even killing deer at night with the bumper of his car. A lot goes on around you that you are not aware of.
Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com.

No comments: