Friday, November 21, 2008

Florida Frigid, Love Lost

The Florida temperature has been as low as 28 some mornings.Since I have not heat, I am going to bed with two pairs of longjohns.I have never used heat unless there was a woman in the house. I do have about ten candles in the bathroom which I light when I take a shower. But showers are not a daily thing now. There are three dogs on the bed with me - Pogo, Maggie, and Rambo. Rambo has to bark when he wants to get onto the bed because Maggie, the little Bassett hound thinks she is a lion and will not let him onto the bed. I have to call her to me, and then Rambo, the yellow lab, can jump onto the foot of the bed. I have a space blanket under the bottom sheet on the dogs' side of the bed so it will be warmer for them. The cold weather is making the horses frisky: Dually, a horse rescued from a cop who was starving him, was prancing around the fence this morning, provoking the dogs into a frenzy, and then kicking the fence. I chased the dogs away before he destroyed the fence.
I called Sarah to leave a message for her to look at my blog. She was at home, and we talked briefly. She was very surprised to hear that Mother is now saying that she doesn't want the two of us coming out to Idaho together. Sarah said Mother had just told her that it would be so nice if the two of us could come out together. "Yeah," I remarked, "And then she told Rebecca, and Rebecca put the kabosh on it." Mother had said to me, "Let me talk to Rebecca when I told her it would be much easier to come out West with Sarah.Nowebecca is taking care of her, and Mother has become Rebecca's doormat. Sarah asked, "Isn't it awful that a mother can't let two of her children come together to see her because another child is against it?"
"It's pitiful, Sarah," I replied.
"That's exactly what it is - pitiful!"
Sarah was going to spend the day in the library so that her son's band could use the house to practice in. She said she will look at the posting I wrote a couple of days ago, but I don't know if she will. Sarah is quirky about using the computer: she says she has 750 emails she hasn't read.
I went to Toastmasters yesterday with Audrey and only gave Rose, the hippy, the reason Audrey wasn't there. After the meeting, I followed Rose to Budda Belly in Gainesville along with another Toastmaster. We spent almost three hours talking, and it was so different than being with Audrey. We had real conversations. The other Toastmaster told us at length about buying the patent rights for a premium coffee from the University of Florida and how he was about to use $3.25 million of his own money to bring the coffee onto the market. When he told Rose and me about building a place for his roasters, I asked for directions to it. I wanted to see if it were there. After lunch, I found it, and the workman said it was being constructed for roasters.
As I followed Rose to the Budda Belly, I noticed that her bumpersticker read "Shift Happens" not "S--- Happens" as Audrey had claimed. Audrey cannot read very well. I don't even plan to mention that to Audrey as I simply cutting her out of that part of my life.
Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com.

No comments: