Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bigfoot Hunt, Love Lost

Yesterday, Audrey and I drove up to Osceola National Forest, a huge flatland that is often flooded with runoff rainwater. It was dry, and we had no problem driving around. I asked about six hunters if they or their friends had a Bigfoot story, and none did. I also asked a man who is apparently an employee for Plum Creek Land Company, the largest landowner in America. He wasn't paticularly pleasant and hadn't seen one either. All these men admitting they've never seen a Bigfoot leads credence to the reports I get of men seeing black panthers. Obviously, people aren't just making up stories when I ask about sightings.
I lost my phone several months ago, and Tasha generously bought me another one last week. It was great to be in touch with my mother and my sister, Sarah, again.
Rebecca fell off a ladder while she was painting the top of one of her porches and broke both bones in her leg and sprained her right hand. Consequently, I found her at home both times I called her. She reviewed the difficulty she had with our sister Rebecca when she visited our mother in Idaho. I suggested the reductio ad absurdem approach and played the role of Sarah when Rebecca told her she wasn't taking care of Mother. I said, "Rebecca, I am so glad you have pointed out how I have been abusing and neglecting Mother and thereby causing her great injury. You can see what terrible shape she is in as she sits there with Uncle Ronnie, drinking coffee and eating cookies, chatting with Uncle Ronnie, and enjoying herself. I strongly suggest we dial 911 and get an ambulance here immediately to take her to the hospital where she will undoubtfully be placed into the intensive care unit! Meanwhile, I would appreciate it if you would call 911 again and have the police come over and arrest me for mother abuse or neglect!"
Sarah said, "I don't know what Rebecca would say to that, but she would just go around and tell the family about it."
I didn't know how to respond to that, but next time I will say, "Let her. She knows you weren't neglecting mother. She knows her charge that you were was a lie. She's not going to tell other people that she told you that you were. That would expose her as a liar. She's too smart to do that, but even if she did, everyone would know she was lying." Instead, I said to Sarah, "If you were stronger, you could just say, 'Rebecca, you are lying. I am not neglecting Mother, so just get off your lie and move on." To show me that she was stronger than I thought, Sarah said, "Well, I did tell her something. The day I left, she came by in a big, red convertible. I walked over to her as she sat in the big car and said, 'Rebecca, you are the sister from hell!' I could tell she was taken aback.
"Sarah, the two of us have the same problem: we are very serious, and we take things very seriously. That is how Tasha hooks me, and that is how Sarah hooks you. I will bet there are times when they have gotten together and said let's hook Sarah and Two-Guns, and then let's get back together and laugh about it. Tasha and Rebecca are able to slip from the role of being very nice or very charming to being very nasty. You and I can't slip out of roles: We are always very serious. That's our hook, and it's a very easy one for them."
"Yeah, that's very true. We are serious."
"Well, how about this, then: When Rebecca starts getting nasty and making up untrue things about you, why don't you just say you know she has a split personality, and you want to talk to the nice Rebecca."
"Yeah, I could do that," Sarah replied enthusiastically. "I can see myself doing that."
I learned from Tasha that Rebecca's daughter, Flowers, was mailing me a picture her hunter-husband had taken of a large, black cat at his hunting camp. Since I didn't know Flowers' number, I called Rebecca asking her to give me the number. That was several days ago, and I haven't heard from her. Is Rebecca reading my blog, and seeing herself in what I write? Wonder why.
Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com.

No comments: