Sunday, September 21, 2008

56. Moral Abortion

Last night, I turned the fan that is only a foot away from my face at night down to low. Blessed relief from the heat is coming to North-Central Florida. Friday, Tasha and I went down to Tampa to see our grandson, Stonewall. First, Tasha complained that I wasn't going fast enough. I do drive slowly, but when I left the slow lane to get into the middle lane on I-75, I had to do 85 to keep the cars behind me from constantly having to go around me. That was too fast, way over the speed limit, and I was not doing it. I pulled back into the "slow" lane and did 60 to 70, when Tasha complaining she would have to take over when we stopped for gas. Finally, we found a station with the price she liked, and we stopped. Silly me, I thought the bitching had stopped. She got me a sundae at the nearby Dairy Queen, and we were on the road again. Soon my legs began to start cramping. The Four Runner is not a large truck plus I have increased my lifting lately. I reached into the back for my pack and put some BenGay type cream on my legs. "You can't do that! Stonewall can't smell linament! It's not good for him!" was the next plaintive litany I had to listen to.
Angry now, I replied tersely, "We can have a good arguement about this ... (until you start coughing because your heart is stalling)," but she cut me off by changing the subject. The rest of the trip was pleasant. All I had to do when I got to Hilda's was wash my hands, and then there was no trouble holding Stonewall. This visit, he was constantly having a big laugh whenever he looked at me. Silly Two-Guns, I guess.
As I wrote several weeks ago, the National Enquirer has come out with an issue saying that Sarah Palin had an affair about ten years ago with one of her husband's business associates. I hope there isn't a deal made that the Republicans won't talk about Obama's child killings if the Democrats don't discuss Palin's supposed affair.
Let the chips fall where they may.
Your rights are individual rights meaning that they don't require someone else to provide them. If someone has to knock at your door and enlist your help either voluntarily or by force for his "rights," then he has no moral claim to those "rights." Rights require no one to fulfill them. The right to free speech, assembly, petition, and private property require no one to fulfill them. The "right" to welfare, Aid To Dependent Children, Food Stamps, and health care require other people. These people are forced to pay for these "rights," and therefore they are false rights.
Several nights ago when I couldn't sleep, this issue came up in my mind and soon I was using the template to apply to the question of whether abortion was ever moral. Does a baby have a right to life inside his mother's womb? Using my template as the only consideration, he doesn't because that right is dependent upon someone else, his mother. But there is more to the issue than the template: There is the issue of the individual facing the consequences of her behavior. The expectant mother must live with the consequences of her behavior which is the creation of a new human growing inside her. We all must face the consequences of our behavior by accepting the responsibilities of the consequences. The consequence of an expectant woman is that she has engaged in a reproductive activity, obviously, and now she has a responsibility to the consequence - a new human life. She's created life; now she must take care of it. However, if a woman or child-woman conceives a baby by force, say by rape or incest, I do not see that she has a moral obligation to take care of that baby, even though I wish she would. She is morally justified in having an abortion. She should not be forced to carry a baby to delivery. In these cases, the baby is knocking at her door for help, but she morally has no obligation to help him and should not be forced to. Of course, I hope that such women or child-women would carry the child to delivery and put him up for adoption if necessary. For the same reasons, a woman who faces a life-threatening situation is she carries a baby, is morally justified in aborting her.
Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com.

No comments: