Saturday, September 6, 2008

43. No Love, III

Last weekend on the way here to the library, the day was gray, and I passed a cow pasture. On the edge of the pond in the pasture was a young cypress tree. It was very green, and on its limbs were a multitude of cattle egrets, born of immigrants from Africa. Becuase of the cloudy day, the brilliant white of the egrets, against the backdrop of bright green, was a beautiful sight. Father up the road, I passed a field next to a house that some truckers built. It is very attractive, painted blue, with a wrap-around porch. I had never seen anything in the field until one evening, I drove by, and there were about five deer feeding in the field. In eleven years of going by that field, that is the one and only time I have seen deer in it. As I go by that field, I often wonder why the deer were there that evening.
Sarah took the call from Rebecca out on the deck where the thirsty plants lived. Mom was in the living room talking with her brother, Uncle Tony. Like me, Sarah is a rather careless person because she is always thinking about other things, and she left the door to the deck open. Mom and Uncle Tony could hear her conversation, particulary when she got upset. The conversation did not go well, with Rebecca again blaming her for not taking care of Mom. She assumed a very superior tone of voice until Sarah could take it no longer and stormed, "Rebecca, who the hell do you think you are? You are not my better, and you need to stop talking like it!" When Rebecca continued, Pam said, "Goodbye." and hanged up. As she retreated to her basement room, she told Mom, "Rebecca is still saying that I'm not taking care of you." Mom replied, "For Christ's sake!" but that's all she did. Clearly, she needs to step into this situation and straighten it out. Mom is not financially dependent upon Rebecca's care or the care of her daughters. If I had a daughter I was afraid to confront because she might turn against me and turn her daughters against me, I would say that the friendships were not real to begin with. All the better to have it over so I could try to find some genuine friends. Plus, they might come around. But with Rebecca, I don't know about that.
Several years ago when I needed money for a lawyer because the perjurers (look for "Perjury" in the blog titles for more about these neighbors from hell.) were bringing false charges against me again. I called Rebecca to see if Mom would be amenable to giving me some money. Actually, I was calling Rebecca to see if she was agreeable because I was sure if Rebecca supported me, my chances of getting money were much better than if she didn't. Tasha knew I could not go back to court again without a lawyer, and she had been talking to Rebecca, a good friend of hers, about the need for an attorney. Rebecca was agreeable so I called Mother, and she sent money. Thank God! And Mom. With an attorney, we were able to squash the demonic neighbors' ridiculous, but very dangerous charges.
I had just begun to put that trying event behind me, when Tasha passed the phone to me one night.
Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com

No comments: