Thursday, September 18, 2008

53. Path Of Love

As soon as I wrote yesterday's entry, I realized there was a fallacy with Sarah's reasoning that she could not continue to be open with me about the abuse from our sister Rebecca. Sarah had posited that Rebecca would psychologically hurt her if she did continue. Besides the drama of that statement, it did not make sense becaue Rebecca is going to "hurt" Sarah regardless of whether Sarah is open to me about what's going on, and I, in turn, post it here. The reason Sarah had not been out to Idaho in five years when she used to go annually was that Rebecca had "hurt" her. It took five years of talking about what had happened, and I think, the use of Peter's Template before Sarah dared to go back again. Indeed, if bullies are cowards, then my posting what Rebecca is doing and saying to poor Sarah will be a deterrent to her repeating it. For above all, except money, Rebecca worries about appearances. She does not want her oldest brother, the one with two masters'
degrees in counseling - rehabilitation and social work- chronicling her destructive, hurtful behavior.
I am frankly a little leery that this is the true reason Sarah does not want me posting this issue. I am more inclined to believe it is about money, that is, the fear that the powerful Rebecca can persuade Mom to disinherit Sarah. Like Rush Limbaugh frequently says, "Follow the money." That is particularly germane to my family where money is worshipped, and character and honesty ride in the back of the bus.
To illustrate this and continue the story I began about Rebecca calling me one night, I will pick up the trail: Tasha handed me the phone, quietly remarking, 'I've never heard Rebecca so mad." As soon as I said "Hello. Rebecca." she launched her attack, declaring, "You little b******! You only called me to get me to okay with Mom the money you needed for the lawyer. You haven't called me for years, and that was the only reason you called me this time."
Actually, what she said was true. As the relationship between Tasha and me worsened, the drelationship between Rebecca and Tasha had bloomed. Like my former best friend, Tasha seemed more important to this family member, Rebecca, than I did.I felt betrayed by her close relationship to Tasha. After all, she was my sister, not Tasha's. My reply to Rebecca over the phone was: "Rebecca, are you drunk?"
"You little b******!..., "she began again, and I hanged up. After that, she called Sarah's younger son and told him he was accepting too much money from Mom, and then she called our brother, Ron, and apparently reamed him out too. This was learned by me from conversations with Sarah. Ron took such a hit from his sister, Rebecca, that he is afraid to get into any issue involving her. When Rebecca divorced Lucky, she expected Ron, as her brother, to demonize Lucky right along with her. Ron worked for Lucky so money could have played a part in his refusal to put Lucky down. But I know from my very rare conversations with Ron that he saw Rebecca as very hurtful, very authoritative, and seldom without a glass of wine in her hand. Rebecca can be challenged by Ron on things she says, but he will shy away from confronting her on any major issues. For instance, when Sarah arrived in Idaho, she waited for a phone call or visit from the powerful Rebecca. Finally, after a week and a half, Ron called her. He had warned her previously that he would not discuss the opmnipotent Rebecca with her. When he called, he simply said, "Just tell me this, yes or no. Has Rebecca called or seen you yet?
"No," Sarah answered.
"That's all I wanted to know. Bye."
Such courage!

No comments: