Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bigfoot Hunt #8

  This hunt almost didn't happen as I woke up and just did not want to go into the woods with a supremely stealthy and dangerous animal as Bigfoot. But after a few hours, I started on my way to try to find a way into the Ocala Forest without going across a big bridge.  I went to Eureka as it had a dam, and I thought I might be able to find a road that would take me across the dam of Oklawaha River. I did find some good Bigfoot woods on the west side of the lake. There were creeks, deep ravines, and ridges, but the country road soon turned away from the lake and out of that terrain. I turned on my lights at dusk, and they caught the yellow rump of the Yellow-Rumped Warbler. The bird almost let me overtake her, but at the last moment she swerved away from my windshield. I was only going 30 miles an hour as I looked for Bigfoot.
Soon I also saw a Barred Owl beginning his nightly prowl. After seven hours, I realized there must not be a way into the forest except by bridge. The next day, the maps on the Internet made that plain. I would either deal with my bridge phobia or not get into Ocala Forest. Now, I have dealt with higher and longer bridges in the past, but it takes tremendous motivation. I desensitized myself to the Hampton Roads Bridge(s)-Tunnel to go to social work school to get my master's. I didn't think I would ever do that but then something happened to make me highly motivated. It took putting a knife into my leg, tightening a rope around my leg, and sometimes popping open a beer to get across the two bridges at first, but I gradually adjusted to them and was able to drive across without any crutches. Then I started going to classes with an Air Force F-111
navigator. He always wanted to drive, and I was happy to let him. When I finally got my four-wheel truck, I thought my troubles were over in getting to Bigfoot. I told others and myself that I would fearlessly approach Bigfoot for a good picture or video. I had to: My house was in foreclosure and I needed a miracle like a good Bigfoot video to save it. Now I find out that fear is a big problem with just looking for Bigfoot. On top of that, the only way into Ocala Forest is by bridge. I know that going over a bridge at night is less frightening as I can't see as much. Therefore, this week I bought a tent and a sleeping pad. The idea is that I will go over the bridge early in the morning, hunt for a couple of hours for the Ghost of the Woods, and then go to a campground, put up my tent, and get some rest for a while. Then I'll get up and hunt until dark or so. I'll go back across the bridge after nightfall. Even so, it will be quite a challenge for me.  Peter Nickerson

No comments: