Sunday, December 23, 2012

Is Verizon Trying To Steal Bigfooter's $400 ? Chapter 2

  After I made the last post, I called the Verizon store manager, Chris Pagano. He had left a message saying he got to his stoe at 7 a.m. and had began working on getting my money back. Now he had a few things to tell me. I was told that Chris was out of the office, but a woman who identified herself as the assistant manager asked me if she could help me. I told her Chris and I were working on trying to get my $400 back from Verizon, that I was blogging about it, and would like Chris to read my blog. These are not exact quotes but close: The woman responded, "I have never heard of such a thing. This isn't a threat is it? If it is, it's out of my hands." I thought that it could be said that I had threatened Verizon with taking them to court, but I wasn't  going to say that to this woman who sounded very tense. I said noting beyond reiterating that I would like Chris to read my blog, thanked her, and hanged up.
  Friday I had to babysit the dogs out at Seal's and on the over one hour run into Gainesville for a doctor's appointment, I called and asked for Chris. Again, I was told he was out of the office but expected to be back in about an hour. I pondered that thinking about how long my doctor's appointment might last and decided to call back and see if Mike could tell me anything. I was told he wasn't available either and would call me "if he can." A salesman will call me "if he can?" That was a new one! I eventually got to the doctor's office, waited for about an hour so decided to call Chris Pagano back. Mike hadn't called me back. A man told me that Chris wasn't there, but he had left a message with his assistant manager Angela that she could tell me I would get my $400 back in seven to ten days. I responded, " I would like to hear that from Angela. Can she talk to me?"
  "Of course," he replied.
  Soon a woman's voice said, "Hello, this is Angie."
  Wanting to be sure we were on the right page, I asked, "Are you Angela?"
  "Excuse me?"
  "Are you Angela?"
  "Sir, that is private information I don't feel comfortable sharing with you."
  Your name is private information now? How convenient. Make up a name, have a complaint, call Verizon, they ask who waited on you, you tell them the made-up name, and they say, "We don't have a person by that name working here, sir." What a scam if this Verizon policy. They can deny anything.
  "Are you the assistant manager then?"
  "Yes."
  I identified myself and reiterated that I wanted my $400 back.
  "Yes, sir. You will get a check in a month."
  " A month? I was just told I would have the check in seven to ten days."
  " I was adding weekends and holidays to the seven to ten days."
  My old brain tried to visualize how there could be enough weekends and holidays in seven to ten working days to make a month. It was too much for it to handle, and I was unable to respond to what is now clearly an inanity.
  Let me make an observation here. In my wxperiences of blowing the whistle, I've learned that people don't take the honorable route and say, "You're right. Let's work together to set this straight. Instead, they come after you, hitting you with false charges. Again in my experience, these false charges are patently stupid and contrived, but you get overwhelmed by the viciousness and mendacity of the attack. I know I may be on dangerous ground with a billion-dollar corporation and its sales people. Salesmen are hardly celebrated for their honor. However, I cannot just walk away from my $400 because I'm afraid. I need to win this fight for my own peace of mind and self-esteem. I've lost too many. I've also discovered in the past year that while I am fighting, I am consumed with the struggle and don't have the painful, endless ruminations about battles I've lost especially the ones I've hardly shown up for. Peter

No comments: