Monday, December 17, 2012

Bigfoot Hunt #4 Continued

  I pulled off the road to take a call from my brother Big Dog. I learned that he had recently made a cup of coffee for the ride to a restaurant for breakfast. He was driving past a development on his left and woods on his right enjoying his cup of coffee when a four point buck ran out of a yard right into his truck. Big Dog said the buck hit his side mirror with his eyes only inches from his. He thought the deer was coming in through the side window. Howver he didn't, and Big Dog drove on looking for a place he could turn around in. From his rearview mirror could be seen the buck on his back with all four feet up in the air and Big Dog's mirror lying next to the deer. Big Dog was back in less than a minute but the buck and his mirror were gone. His friends joke that the deer took his mirror home and mounted it above his fireplace. Apparently, a good Samaritan from the development cleared the mirror off the road. Nature wars! As I was being told all this, an old man pulled up next to me. He had seen my magnetic sign on the back of the truck asking if anyone had seen a Bigfoot.The old man began telling me how he had a friend with feet thaaaat long, measuring with his hands. I was initially a little brusque with him. Couldn't he see I was on the phone? Then I realized he was even older than me, and I became more friendly. He made the joke I've heard ad nauseum, I obligily laughed, and he drove on. I continued my slow prowl through the woods, my truck in a quiet second gear. At a intersection, a gunshot boomed out, and I stopped, looking to see if anyone was running away. I saw nothing but next time will wait longer to see if the gunshot attracted a Bigfoot looking to steal whomever the hunter shot. An acquaintance in my Sunday school class told me that he had been seeing a bobcat by his deerstand for years. He enjoyed seeing the little cat and never shot at him. One day he shot a deer, who ran a ways, but audibly fell to the ground. The hunter got out of his tree and walked over to the deer to find his Bobcat friend standing on the dead deer as if to claim him. Of course, the little cat knew he couldn't defend his claim against a rifle so he skulked off.
  But nothing happened after the gunshot so I drove on. Soon a large squirrel bounded across the road, but it was too dim to see whether he was a fox squirrel.When I hit a paved road, I decided it was time to call it quits. I stopped at a tiny store nearby with no gas pumps and in talking to two men there, learned that "everyone"was getting his limits of speckled trout at night and that this run would last into January. There was immediate fishing fever, but I told myself I had to concentrate on finding Bigfoot. If you would be interested in coming with me on another hunt, please give me a call. We'll meet at a McDonald's or something and see if we could work together. I worry that you will get bored scanning the woods for hours but could use an extra pair of eyes. Pete Nickerson 352-359-0850

No comments: