Sunday, December 16, 2012

Bigfoot Hunt #4 Central Florida

  I reached the woods in Central Florida in the afternoon. As I listened to the radio on the drive in, the tragedy in Newtonville, Conneticutt grew from a mere report that several police cruisers were being seen at an elementary school to a massacre of twenty first-graders and seven women. I tried not to get bogged down with the agony around such an event, but instead concentrated on the task at hand. I was glad to find the dirt roads moist as that would hold tracks well. It had rained for several days, but there were still quite a bit of tire wear on the roads. I would find out later that the probable reason for that was a speckled trout run at a nearby lake that was connected to the St. Johns River. But the edges of the road were clean, and I looked there for tracks. I immediately began seeing deer tracks. Then I came upon a bear track with a much smaller companion track that I theorized was the cub bear. I got out and took pictures of the tracks.
Having drivern for about an hour without seeing another human being, I was happy to see a car approach me. I had driven by two houses deep in the woods, and this car must have been going to one of them. I was sure it was a local car because it was a rattletrap. The road has a distinct washboard pattern to it that would soon beat a car apart. I saw a marker for a historical site but couldn't walk to as I couldn't hoof the half mile to it due to a necrosis (dead area) in my knee. The primary vegetation of the woods seemed to sand pines, scrub oaks, and saw palmettoes. I kept an eye out for the threatened Florida Scrub Jay. I understand that they are even shier than the Blue Jay and are rarely seen except on wires. They also require scrub oak around eight feet tall as habitat. I drove in second gear, which is the most quiet gear and kept my head on a swivel, looking in all four directions, including behind me by the use of the rearview mirror. I came upon a lake and immediately saw an immature Bald Eagle flying over it. I drove out onto the dam where fishermen were pulling into and beginning to congregate. I asked an old woman if they caught any fish. She replied, "Yes, we caught speckled trout last night."There was quite a breeze coming off the lake and most everyone was bundled up in heavy, old, fishing clothes. The fishers were mainly serious, country people not fishing for sport but for food. And very good food at that! I spoke with a better dressed man wearing a U.S. Marine Corps (pronounced with a silent p, Commander-In-Chief Obama) and was informed that just minutes before he had passed about eight wild hogs on the other side of the dam. Thinking that I might get a picture of one and even that Bigfoot might be pushing them, I slowly, as was required, drove across the dam to the other side. The pigs were nowhere to be found. The area on this side of the dam was deemed a no hunting zone.This little area was a prime Bigfoot spot. Fish in the locks, hogs in the woods, and deer everywhere. There are numerous stories about Bigfoot being in the salmon runs right along with humans on the West Coast. Plus there are sightings of him crossing highways with a fish in one big hand.  To Be Continued, Pete Nickerson 352-359-0850 Anyone in the Alachua, Florida area interested in riding with me on Bigfoot hunts, please call me. I could use another pair of eye in the front seats.

No comments: