Thursday, April 2, 2009

#146 The Black Panther: A True Story

"The Black Panther: A True Story About a Mysterious, Big, Black Cat And How The Government Denies His Existence" continues: In the early summer of 1999, I read in "Swamp Screamer" that when the Florida Game Commission stocked panthers or mountain lions from Texas into North Central Florida, namely the Osceola Forest just north of Lake Butler, several were spotted by hunters hanging around the hunters' wild game feeders. The panthers did not eat corn; they ate those who did. I have put out corn around the house, and doing so has made a big difference even in the summer. It has drawn many more birds onto the property. I have even seen an indigo bunting, a solid blue bird, and a scarlet tanager, a solid red bird.
I have decided to stop taking my dead raccoons and possums to other people for food. I've been using a live trap to catch them and then I shoot them in the head with a .22 rifle. Taking them to other people takes too much time, and the people are not very appreciative. I took one up to a black woman in Lake Butler, and as I took it out of the back of my truck, I held the dead coon with a paper towel. The black woman got indignant about it saying, "You expect me to eat that animal, and you won't even touch it with your bare hands?"
"Lady, I don't expect you to do anything. Do you want it or not?"
"Give it here," she replied.
I'm not going to waste time and gas for those kinds of games. Instead, I've started taking them over to a pine plantation about a hundred yards from the house. The Santa Fe River is only about three hundred yards on the other side from the pine plantation, and maybe a panther prowling along the river will smell the carcasses and come to them.
Cabela's is advertising a Moultrie feeder for less than a hundred dollars. I plan to order one and put it up at the Sandhill Hunt Club close to the Tide Swamp Unit Game Management Area where Wendy, the worker at the check-in station, saw two black panthers. I will try to hang the feeder where there is a lot of sand so I can see the tracks around it. That way I can tell who is using it and maybe even see the track of a panther.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Peter "Two-Guns" Nickerson, MS, MSW at peternickerson12@yahoo.com or 352-359-0849.

No comments: