Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bigfoot With Club, Father Kidnaps Kids

What's better, my friend? For me, it's buying a Carbon Express arrow at Wal-Mart yesterday. Itr was half the price of othe stores. My son and I are planning to hunt pigs at a Game Management Area, and I can't use the aluminum arrows I have because they will bend. Earlier this year, I had worked up to good accuracy at about forty yards, but my rotator cup hurt so much that my shooting has been very spotty since then. Now, I am trying to shoot just three arrows a day and see how my shoulder holds up. Going hunting with Bobby will be a lot of fun. We are planning to use a boat to get to our destination which will be even more interesting.
I have a source in Colorado who saw a Bigfoot when he was only ten years old. He's been called crazy ever since. Here is his story: "My father and my brothers and I were on a fishing trip in western Colorado. We were on a trail in the mountains, and I had gotten about three hundred yards ahead of them. Suddenly, on a trail above me, I saw a Bigfoot going in the same direction. He had a large club over his shoulder. I ran back and told my family, but they said I was imaging things. Everyone I have told this story to has told me that I'm crazy, but I know what I saw." This man is now an outfitter and is outside constantly but has neve seen another Bigfoot.
This morning, I was feeding and watering the horses and goats when an insight suddenly hit me. It was about my parents taking in Allen Wurks, my boyhood best friend, and his three children after Allen kidnapped them from his ex-wife. Allen had married his next-door girlfriend, Beauty, a lovely, well-endowed (even at sixteen) woman. Allen's parents, especially his mother, had vehemently disapproved of the romance. After Allen graduated from the University of Richmond, he married Beauty, but his parents would not attend his wedding. I was his best man, and he was my best man at my wedding. Allen taught Spanish in a high school in central Virginia and worked a second job so Bonnie could stay at home and raise the children. All the man did was work. Beauty was active in their church, and Allen wondered why they were running into the preacher and his family on vacations and at the same hotels to boot. When Bonnie finally left him with the children, and the preacher left his wife and children, he realized what had been going on for years. He was furious, and now he and his parents were on the same page of hate toward Beauty. Allen's father, a retired Army colonel, called my father. By this time, my parents had left Virginia and were leaving in Hayden Lake, Idaho.
They concocted a plan that Allen would kidnap his kids from Beauty and come west to live with my parents until Allen could find a job and a place to live. By this time, I was Director of Social Services for the City of Williamsburg, Virginia, and an officer of the court. Everyone figured that I took my job so seriously that if I knew where Allen was, I would report it to the commonwealth attorney I worked with. They were probably right. Therefore, they decided not to tell me, and as far as I knew Allen, my best friend, had just disappeared off the face of the earth with his three children. Beauty employed a private detective but nothing happened for years. Then Allen made the mistake of applying for a house loan in Seattle, Washington. His social security number hit the computers, and that was the end. Beauty went out West with a Virginia deputy to have Allen arrested and to get her children back.
This morning, it dawned on me that if the father of Bobby's best friend came to us and wanted us to provide a refuge for his son and his three kidnapped grandchildren, Tasha and I would not do it because it would be not only illegal but wrong, and it would be lying by omission to Bobby.
I don't like to use the word "we" when referring to Tasha because that word is not in her vocabulary, but I don't think we would not have done that to Bobby. You can't have a warm, loving relationship with your son when you are hiding his best friend and his three children in your home and are not telling him about it.
Raising a child can be painful because, out of the blue, you have these insights when the way you raise your children and the relationship you had with your children are so radically different from the way you were treated by your parents. Suddenly the insight comes out of nowhere, hits you, and leaves you with an empty, weak feeling in your stomach. The strong, full realization is that you know you're not repeating the same mistakes with your children. That's what we have control over.

No comments: