Friday, August 1, 2008

An Abused Baby

First, let's finish the story of the Seal's dog. Kando explained to Tasha, "I could not do anything at that particular moment."
"Why not?" she asked. 'Is that your Navy Seal side of you, the one I am not to ever see?"
"Exactly."
"Why? Would you have killed her?"
"No, but I would have reached out and touched somebody."
Tasha, always the sharp one, replied, "Kando, she's a kickboxing champion! Have at it!"
Now I have a bizzare story: I called the Florida child abuse hotline because Audrey had told me about a fourteen month old baby whose grandparents supposedly are not feeding him baby food because they cannot afford it, and the baby is having diarrhea and breaking out in a rash. I had urged Audrey to call social services. When she told me yesterday, that she had visited the baby and found that grandmother had a belt she said she used to "discipline" the fourteen month old baby, I decided I would not wait for Audrey to call. I called and got a very professional person called Valerie. In about two hours, the investigator called me, and this is where it got bizarre. He had a whiney voice and asked me twice, back to back, if I had seen any injuries on the baby. Each time I replied no and then said. "Let's do a good job on this. I'm a former social services director, and I will be writing about this on my blog.
Let me say again that unless I specified, these quotes are all paraphrases not exact quotes. The social worker said, "I don't care about your blog."
"That's very disrespectful."
"Do you have an emotional problem?"
"Do you have an emotional problem," I shot back.
He laughed harshly. Bingo! "There you go, being disrespectful again," I added.
Swords drawn, I answered the rest of his questions and hanged up.
It was time to pick up Audrey for our shopping trip, so I called the child abuse hotline back and asked to speak to Valerie, the nice social worker. First I got a Donna who put me through to a gentleman who answered my call and referred me to Client Relations when I told him what was going on. By luck, I got Donna whom I had already talked to when I was trying to find Valerie. I relayed the above conversation to her and explained, "Look, I wanted to write a positive story about this on my blog, but I go where the truth takes me. When I came here eleven years ago, I got the idea that you all were getting a bad deal, and needed better pay and more social workers."
"Well, thank you, but we can't have people talking to you like that either. It sounds like he needs a course in customer relations."
Next time, I will reply, "He needs more than that."
I gave her my blog's address, and hanged up.
Then Audrey said, "He talked to me weird too. He said, 'Do you know Pete Nickerson?
I said, 'Yes." Then he said, 'Does he have a mental problem?' and I told him, 'Definitely not."
Exasperated, I replied, "Audrey, why didn't you tell me this while I was talking to Donna?"
I called Donna back, gave the phone to Audrey, and she related the above. Donna has said she will call me back, so we'll see what happens with both the abused baby and the strange social worker. My initial diagnosis is first that the social work is very strange, and second, he didn't like my deep, masculine, authoritative voice. Underscore "masculine." Get the message? Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com

No comments: