Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Three Bigfoot Sightings

I scored big Monday: Three Bigfoot sightings. I will start with the last one as it is the longest:I asked a middle-aged gentleman "Have you ever seen a Bigfoot?" as we were pouring our drinks into our cups at Hardee's in Lake Butler, Florida. He said he had. I followed him to his table where he sat down with his wife, and I stood and listened. His name was James Harrell Dixon, and he said, "This was in Green Cove (Florida, near Jacksonville) back in the seventies when we got married."
"1976," his wife added helpfully.
"I was coming home one night..."
"From work," she put in.
"...and I saw him walk across a ditch four by six feet. He walked across it in one step. He looked like a human, about seven feet tall, but very hairy."
"He was very excited when he got home," his wife observed.
"It was very different back then, just a few houses. Now it's all houses. "
The couple now lives in Bardin, Florida, which has the famous Bardin Booger. James assured me, "He did live there as well as others, but (he gave me a name I promptly forgot) put on an ape suit and began walking around in it."
"He liked to hang out at the cemetery," his wife said.
James agreed and added, "I've seen many things out in the woods." One of the animals he listed was a black panther so I asked him about that. "I was sleeping outside under an oak tree one night.."
"Sleeping outside?" I asked dubiously.
"Yes, I love nature," he responded.
"He does," said his wife, backing him up.
"... and I woke up hearing snoring and thought, 'My snoring must have waken me up.' Then I looked up about five feet at a black panther sleeping on a limb of the oak tree. He was snoring."
"What did you do then?"
"I said, 'You're snoring woke me up, Mr. Black Panther.' and I went back to sleep.
Two or three times, Mr. Dixon told me that people thought he was crazy when he discussed his Bigfoot sighting.
The first story sounds credible particularly with his wife commenting that he was very excited after he saw Bigfoot, but the second one about the black panther sounds very unusual.
The other two Bigfoot sightings were found at Spyre's, the only grocery store in Lake Butler.
I was standing in line behind a tall man with a beard. He had a blue shirt with deer and antelope figures on it. I asked if he were from out West. "No, I was just out there for a while. I've lived here all my life." he responded.
"Seen any Bigfoot?" I asked.
"No, can't say that I have."
"Have any of your friends?"
"No."
We stood in line silently waiting for about thirty seconds, and then he spoke up, "My brother-in-law saw a swamp ape down in the Everglades. It was on I-75, on Alligator Alley, near Everglades City. It was crossing the road."
Judy, the cashier, heard us talking and told me, "My brother said he saw a swamp ape. He's a big hunter. He said it was in Maclenny (Florida). Some hunter friends of his would not go into the woods after that. I'll have to ask him about it for you. I thought at the time that he was just kidding or something."

No comments: