Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Black Panther Sighting

Last week I was at the gorcery store in Commerce City, Florida and when my cashier mentioned having four acres, Mr. Chatty asked her, "Do you live in a rural area."
"Yes."
"Have you ever seen the black Florida panther?"
"I have, only it was in a cage. It was by a lake in Lakeland (Florida). A man had it, and I don't think he should have because it is an endangered species."
"It doesn't even officially exist, " I observed. "Are you sure it was a black panther? Did it have any rosettes or spots under its fur that you could see?"
"I don't remember. I know the man said it was a black Florida panther."
"How long ago was this? "
She looked a little alarmed that I was writing her words down so I assured her, "I collect panther sightings. I have over five hundred."
"This was ten- twelve years ago, she replied and gave me her name when I asked for it.

No comments: