Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ten Panthers

I called the Chehow Zoo which serves the Ashburn, North Carolina, area and talked to Janet Thompson. She said, "I've been working here for 21 years, and when I first came here, we had a white, albino raccoon. That's the only solid white animal. We had a tan cougar that was confiscated during a drug raid."
No white panther at the Ashburn Zoo apparently. Sunday, I asked the manager at Hitchcock's Grocery Store in Alachua City, Florida if he had ever seen a black panther. Morgan Keene responded, "Oh, yes. Our farm is in Ellisville ( a village between Gainesville and Lake City) and between seeing them there and my mother seeing them when she drives the school bus, all of us, including my mother, father, brothers, and I have seen about ten black panthers."
"Were any of them doing anything interesting?" I asked.
"No, just darting across the roads, " Morgan replied.
In a previous posting, I wrote about a woman who had seen a caged black Florida panther in Lakeland, Florida. She too works at Hitchcock's, and her name is Evelyn Burt.

No comments: