Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why Do You Think God Would Choose You?

Intellectually, it intrigues me when we pray that God will provide us some favor. This idea is particularly strong with my friend Quaker who believes God is directing her life on a  micro-basis. For instance, a house sale seems to fall apart; that was God's will. But the next day, the loan resurrects itself, and the sale goes through. That was God's will too. If everything is God's will than what is the point of living? Let God live his own life instead of doing it through me. Life is too painful to be allowed proxies. Also, isn't it intellectually fatuous to think that God is going to grant me some favor when new-born babies are dieing of disease and starvation?  They have done nothing wrong. They are sinless. I asked this question of my Quaker friend, and she replied like this: "You don't know how those babies would have grown up to become. They might have been murders or other great sinners."
  My response was, " Shouldn't God make that clear why he is allowing babies to die? Doesn't he want us to know that he is a just God?"
  Quaker had no response for this, and now we get into the covert and emotional reasons for religion with this fact: For years, Quaker has been calling me using "Restricted." I have asked her why she does this, and got a sideways "answer" that was no answer. Just today, I was told that the "Restricted" service costs money. If that's true, the plot thickens. In the past week, I have received three calls from "Restricted." I've answered two of them, and there was no response on the other end. Were these calls from Quaker? I ask that when every "Restricted" call I have received has been from Quaker?  After the second call, I left a message at her number asking her to call me again. The next day "Restricted" called but there was only silence on the phone.But Quaker is a deeply religious person. Not only does she believe God is micro-managing her life, but she spends two hours in the morning on devotionals. What the hell is going on? Is she really that messed up and why? And why would she call and not say anything? It's such a waste of time. Peter Nickerson, MS, MSW  352-359-0850

No comments: