Thursday, May 30, 2013

What's Better And Worse In The News?

What's Better For George Zimmerman?
  Zimmerman's lawyer says that evidence has been withheld.
A court employee deleted text messages from Trayvon Martin's cellphone and has been placed on administrative leave. It would be interesting to know if the court worker was black.
What's Better For Bigfoot?
  The intrepid hunter, Two-Guns, gives this report: Bigfoot Hunt #8 - On this large tract of land in Florida, I checked out two spots where there were supposed to be fishing thinking they would serve as a hiding place, a means for travel, and a food source for Bigfoot. These two areas were deep in the woods, requiring four wheel drive. At one point, the road was so rough that everything on the dashboard fell off. Whoopee! Another time, I got out to check for tracks. The ground was so rough I couldn't walk since I have dead bone in one knee. The knee simply wasn't strong enough. I fought feeling blue about that and got back into the truck.The fishing areas were big disappointments. They were simply sharp curves in a creek that was currently only about two feet deep with the water moving briskly. The creeks themselves were about six feet deep and six feet wide so it was obious that they carried a hug volume of water at times. Just not today. I found no evidence - fishing line, bait packages, floats - that they were ever used as fishing holes.
  Later in the afternoon, the breeze laid down, and the animals started coming out. I saw a male cardinal, 5 doves, and a Red-Headed Woodpecker, who used to share his distinctive white back wings with the extinct Ivory-Billed Woodpecker. The Ivory-Billed was made extinct by the double whammy of commercial hunting in the late 19th Century (private collections of stuffed birds were very popular at the time) and the cutting of virgin trees ( the Ivory-Billed only ate the boring worms in the bark and outer areas of wood. Thus, he needed a constant supply of old trees dying.)
  Juast at sunset, I was driving along a ridge and came upon a deep ravine perpendicular to the ridge. I stopped the truck to look at turkey tracks on the road. As soon as I opened the door, turkeys flushed from the ravine below me. They flew into the pine trees to roost. Since they were below me, I got to look down on them as the flew up. This was a novel perspective in flat Florida. It was a beautiful sight seeing their rich brown backs and wings against the deep green of the bushes below them. I was unable to find them in my camera as they flew which was frustrating and showed I needed more practice.
  It was dark when I reached a hard paved road. Just as I got to the road, a game warden suddenly out of nowhere appeared at my open window and shined a light into my face. I thought he was taking a little long to get the light out of my face but realized later that he was getting a good look at my camera on a shooting stick lying on my lap.
  He asked, "Putting the turkeys to bed?"
  "No, actually I'm looking for Bigfoot."
   "Did you find him?"
   "No, but I did have an interesting experience. About a couple of hundred yards in front of me I saw what looked like a hunter in camouflage overalls running across the road. But he didn't have a gun, and when I drove up to where he went in, there were no roads or paths. But there are a hundred possibilities before being a Bigfoot."
  We said a few sentences about turkey hunting, and I told him where there were an obscene number of long-beards. He agreed, and now there was respect in his voice. I wasn't just a crazy Bigfooter. I stopped at a pizza place in town and got a report from one of the drivers about a black panther being seen in the same land I had been in. Part of the ride back was in land where Bigfoot had been seen. I counted seven deer.
I drove between two, one on each side of the narrow road. I noticed the one on my left looking longily at the one on my right so I quickly slowed down without slamming on the brakes and making the deer bolt . The deer on the left stayed where he was and spared both my little truck and himself. Another Bigfoot Hunt completed. No Bigfoot but I am now one hunt closer to seeing him.  Peter Nickerson Gainesville, Florida  352-359-0850

No comments: