Monday, February 23, 2009

Black Man Started Slavery, Black Panthers

I have been asked how Anthony Johnson was able to have slaves. Anthony Johnson is on records from Jamestown as "Antonio a Negro." In the 140s he was able to purchase liberty from indentured servitude for both his wife and himself. By 1651, he had prospered enough in the New World to be able to purchase five "servants." As a result of this, he was given 250 acres as "headrights." As this point I do not know what he did to become so successful financially, and if the books I have ordered tell me, I will tell you.
Returning to "The Black Panther Betrayal: Government At Work" "In the first part of June, 1999, I drove into Gainesville to see a picture of a black panther. One of the assistants at my dentist's office called to say she had found the picture in a children's book that belonged to one of her children. I stopped at the dentist's office but quickly saw that the caption above the picture read that the big cat was a black panther, the black color phase of a leopard. The woman, a mother and full-time employee had not taken the time to read the entire caption. She was embarrassed, but I told her it was just like all my black panther leads: it fizzled out. Poor me! She said that her mother knew there were black panthers, and they ranged up and down the Santa Fe River (in North-Central Florida, USA).
Last night, I was reading in the "Swamp Screamer" by Charles Fergus that some people believe the black panther is a black jaguarundi, an 18 pound Central American cat. Fergus writes that the jaguarundi likes the water so much that he is called "the otter cat." Although many sightings of black panthers have been near the water, none have been of the cat being in the water. The Florida panther does swim, but he does not like the water as much as the jaguar. Talking about jaguars, did you know that there are more jaguar fossils in Florida than panther fossils? Could the black panther being seen here be the black color phase of the jaguar? But why would Florida just have the black phase of the jaguar and no jaguars with the dominant color - tawny with black rosettes?
Several days later, I dropped my son, Jon, and the boat off at Lake Butler and locked the trailer. I was going fishing with him but decided at the last moment to look for panthers. I really was not sure that was the right thing to do for I should be supporting Jon's dream to become a professinal bass fisherman. I was taking myself out of his life by not participating in that dream. On the other hand, I knew he could handle the boat, and I needed to pursue my dream of seeing a black panther and making the general public aware of his existence. I told him he could handle the boat, and left for the other side of the lake where the game management area was. I returned at dusk and didn't even notice how withdrawn he was. I realized it later." To Be Continued. Peter "Two-Guns" Nickerson, MS, MSW, at peternickerson12@yahoo.com. Telephone 352-359-0849 much better.

No comments: