Friday, October 10, 2008

#67 Drill The Prices Down! Drill, Baby, Drill!

FREEDOM'S VIGIL: In the 1960s it was "Burn, Baby, Burn! Burn The House Down!" I suggerst we add to the Republican chant of "Drill, Baby, Drill!" "Drill The Prices Down!" This means all the prices including the price of gas that went up when the price of oil went up. Drill, Baby, Drill! Drill The Prices Down! Drill, Baby,
Drill!"
PERSONAL PALAVER: I am behind on my posts because it took several days to correct and add to the last post - the one about about the financial crisis being caused by the Democrats providing affirmative action in housing to blacks. After the football game on televison Thursday night a week ago, I drove to the kittens to try to scare away predators for the rest of the night. There was a young gray fox on the bridge over the New River. He was probably eating the remains of the possum kill. The poor fox was gaunt and tired, slowly lopping off the bridge even though I was right behind him. He went into the woods only a little more than a hundred yards from where the kittens were hiding. I knew they would be next. I put out fresh pee and whooped around the kittens' area, hoping to frighten away all predators. The next afternoon, only one kitten came to the food and milk I put out. I knew the fox would be back for her. When I told Tasha about the situation, she asked, "Do you want me to go get her?" I was willing for her to try, but I also found two fish nets in the garage and took them, along with my heavy Lacrosse snake boots since the kitten was hiding in some thick brush. A small cage in the back of the SUV completed the preparations, and we were off to the neighboring county.
The kitten wouldn't come to Tasha so with my boots on and a net in hand, I waded into the brush. Tasha remained on the elevated trail, and since she was up much higher than me, she could see the kitten evading me and direct me to her. In a couple of minutes, I caught her - an ugly little bundle of bared teeth and hissy fury. I shook her out of the net into the cage. Home we went, where we fed and watered her for a few days, waiting for her fear to subside. First, Kando, the Navy Seal, handled her, picking her up in the palm of his hand and rubbing her belly. The next day, she came to the front of her cage to greet me and rub against the finger I put through the wire. Yesterday, she began purring whenever I put my finger into the cage. One night, I caught a young, feral cat running by me in the light of my headlamp when I went out to check on the kitten. The kitten was getting some
company. Tasha found a friend who wants Panther, as I call the kitten, and the friend has two cats, one of whom is young and should be a playmate for Panther. I said goodbye to the solid black, green-eyed kitten this morning. If she doesn't work out in her new home, she'll be back.

No comments: