Tuesday, October 28, 2008

#30 Black Panther Story, Freedom's Vigil

I mentioned the black panther, and the clerk immediately introduced me to another worker, a young man named Jan. Jan said, "I worked with the magays (small, spotted cats found in the dense tropical forests from Mexico to Argentina) for four years. So you're studying ________ (he reeled off the Latin name)? I don't see why there can't be black panthers, particulary since it's a big cat ( Jan was mistaken here, for the panther is not a big cat because it supposedly doesn't roar). The lions and tigers have both black and white individuals. There are some black leopards. The margays have black individuals. I'm back here in Gainesville trying to get into graduate school because I saw what was happening in Costa Rica during those four years and wanted out. I want to go to Indonsesia or Malay and study the ____
(again the name slipped through my memory untouched) That will be far enough away so that it's not spoiled."
I asked him if he knew David Maehr and his book " The Florida Panther." "Yes, I know him. I read his book but didn't finish it. I met him at a cat conference in Costa Rica."
"What's he like?"
"He's quiet, nice, introverted like biologists are."
"The Game Commission people down here say that the everyday people who see black panthers are crazy," I remarked.
The first clerk who was listening to our conversation, scoffed, "Game Wardens down here are police officers!"
Jan agreed, "The Game Commission is mostly enforecement. Researchers don't go into the Game Commissions."
I told him I would like to talk to him some more, and he was agreeable. Jan gave me the name of his adviser at the University of Florida and urged me to call him.
FREEDOM'S VIGIL: I have finally read something that makes me a little less worried about Obama: Fred Siegel's critique of Freddoso's book, "The Case Against Obama."
I learned that Obama wanted to be mayor of Chicago, a dying, corrupt, Democratic city with the highest sales tax - 10.25 percent - in the country. The ambition to be be mayor could be the reason Obama attached himself to such sleazy but influential men as Bill Ayers and Rev. Wright. Mr. Siegel wrote, "He (Obama) simply cultivated the people he needed to cultivate in order to climb the greasy pole of local perferment, giving beautiful speeches along the way."
You have seen how Obama threw his friends like the white and American hating Rev. Wright and the unrepentant bomber Ayers under the bus by repudiation and minimization respectively. I have heard that Michelle wears the pants in the Obama family, and I believe it. We should know why she isn't proud of America. But Mr. Siegel says the most positive thing I have read about Obama: "A man so drawn by his own star is likely, if elected, to throw over his old allies (think of Rev. Wright) in pursuit of new goals." The positive thing about that is the possibility that Mommy's Boy Obama may be attracted to the masculine, paternal character of the generals and admirals in the staffs that advise him as the president. Generals and admirals will be more patriotic than the bomber Bill Ayers and the white hater Rev. Wright.
Two-Guns at peternickerson12@yahoo.com.

No comments: