Thursday, May 18, 2017

Brattleboro, Vermont Selectboard Un-Candidate #20

     There is a lot of noise over Trump "revealing" to the Russians that laptops on planes could contain explosives. Big deal! Wouldn't anyone with a half a brain know that after the shoe bomber episode? BFD! Empty-head screamers. The question I have is why think that laptops are safe in cargo? Couldn't they easily be detonated by a passenger with a concealed remote control? Couldn't they be easily detonated by a timer? I can't afford TV, but I hope some of those pretty heads on it are asking these questions.
     The last selectboard meeting went quietly. I am blocking on the name of the female selectboard member; it's not the chairwoman. But she was the only one in the meeting room when I got there and unlike me with her, she knew my name and made some conversation which made me feel accepted. Am I the only person living in Brattleboro who voted for Trump? I had my phobia demons to deal with during the meeting, and I did. The only contribution I was considering making was to point out that the assistant town manager hadn't mentioned the possibility of wood pellets increasing in price. He was proposing changing the oil burner at the transportation center for a wood burner. However, selectboardman John Allen made the point before I could.
     Since that meeting, I've realized I need to ask if the enviromental impact study the state is going to make around the widening of Putney Road includes the impact on homo sapiens sapiens in that area. Specifically, how many businesses say they will go out of business due to the widening, and how many jobs will be lost? Also, how much will remaining businesses have to spend to make adjustments to the seizure of their land? I can't believe these questions haven't occurred to the selectboard. Even one or two businesses being destroyed is a big deal in this little town. I was surprised that the town manager painted such a rosy picture of city finances since we constantly seem to be loosing businesses. Maybe we people of Brattleboro don't care. We've got our checks, our drugs, beer, and TV. Why worry if we have to go out of state to get the products we need? At least we don't have to pay sales tax, and we keep Vermont green.But we need enough revenue to finance basic services. People in this town seem to be living off a government check or serving those who do. They don't have money for extra taxes.
Peter Nickerson  352-359-0850

No comments: