Thursday, July 9, 2015

Whistle-Blower #3

    It was a shame Sue Royster and I were not close because when I eventually blew the whistle, a little bit, on York County Social Services, the powerful came after Sue first to get to me. I can be very protective of others (I am the oldest of six), and if we had been a more united team, I would have fought for her tooth and nail. When it comes to myself though, I have been passive and dependent. These were the qualities I used to survive an abusive childhood. The only time I was totally on and not afraid of the threatened consequences of my assertiveness was when my father came after my brothers and sisters verbally.
    When Sue told me how York County was denying that Tammy was one of their foster children, I told her I would call the director, Betty Copland, and get her help. Betty had been my supervisor when I worked at her agency. I was given a generic caseload to introduce me to working all the various services to clients. Betty was a large woman from a rural area in Charles City. She had a beefy red face, and one time I drove her to the liquor store to get a bottle. But I never saw her drink on the job. Most of the staff adored Betty, especially the young social workers who were a majority. She exuded a confidence that she could get anything done and was likened to a locomotive and a lion by the staff. She was a mother figure for us younger social workers. I had never known a nurturing mother and was particularly smitten by her. Peter Nickerson, MS,MSW. 352-359-0850.

No comments: