Friday, October 5, 2012

Critique of "Rainy Brain, Sunny Brain"

  Elaine Fox, author of "Rainy Day, Sunny Brain" (2012) oversold her book with the subtitle of " How To
Retrain Your Brain To Overcome Pessimism and Achieve a Positive Outlook." I was forewarned when she gushed about the the great hope and optimism brought by Obama's election and Nelson Mandela's presidency in South Africa. She omitted the facts that Obama has increased our national debt more than the "unpatriotic" amount Bush had increased the national debt and there are more people unemployed now than when Obama entered office. Likewise, she ommitted the fact that Mandela and his wife drove around to ranches owned by whites, saw the one they wanted, and had the owners, a white couple in their seventies, I  believe, booted out. Mandela spent 26 years in jail because of racism only to become a racist himself when he had control of the force and violence of the government.
  Suffering from several anxiety disorders and their attendant depression, I was hopeful that Elaine Fox was going to review the latest experiments and then give concrete exercises I could use to overcome anxiety and pessimism. Like Obama and Mandela, she gave only half the story - the psychological experiments which were very positive. However, I do not live in a psychology department of an university. How could I adapt these experiments for my use at home? This is what she should have answered and didn't. In not doing this, she didn't do what the book proclaimed it was going to do. Just as a bad piece of pie makes you forego any more of the pie, I now have doubts about the entire book. What a loss for fellow sufferers, Elaine Fox, and me! Two-Guns

No comments: