Friday, March 12, 2010

Panthers Kill Two Donkeys!

I just got two panther reports from a bear and hog hunter who belongs to two hunt clubs on the borders of the Okeefenokee Swamp in Georgia. He wants to join my old club, the Sandhill Hunt Club, in Steinhatchee, Florida to hunt hogs. Both reports are of donkey kills in Lake Butler, Florida about thirty miles north of Gainesville. In the first kill, the donkey was dragged away and covered. uncovered, and then covered again. There were panther tracks around the body. In the second kill, only a few miles away, the owners of the unlucky donkey heard the panther screaming off and on for a week as he prowled around. Finally, he killed the donkey. The bear and hog hunter told me that a bear will also cover his kill with debris and brush, something that I did not know. He said he had seen it. The hunter said, "They deny there are any panthers around here because they get grants. It's all about the money." It makes me happy that after years of telling people around here about this cracker scam by Fish and Wildlife, people are now telling me about it. Please call me with your panther sightings and stories. Thanks. Pete Nickerson, "Tw0-Guns." 352-359-0850.

No comments: