Wednesday, May 13, 2009

#163 A "More Compassionate" IRS?

Rick called today, very happy: "I got my Social Security check today, and the $150 the IRS had taken out last month was not repeated. I got my entire check today. I had no idea who or what was responsible for it, but I called Jean Clough, the congressional caseworker for Cliff Stearns, Ms. Walker, the IRS advocate, and Cliff Stearns' office. I thanked all of them for their efforts, saying that we all shook the tree and out fell my $150. Perhaps you remember the last letter from the IRS was that they had received my Innocent Spouse form and would not take any action to give themselves time to research the situation first. Of course, they had already taken action - taken $150 out of my Social Security check. I think the most likely explanation of why I got my money back is that the IRS researched the situation and also became aware that I was protesting the seizure of my money through my congressman, just as I had told them I would do, and saw that there was no legal basis for seizing my money."
Two figures in the public action that the two Gainesville cops took against me have been prominent in the lcoal news lately. One is Chief Botsford of the Gainesville Police Department. The department had been plagued with firings and "resignations" of officers in the past year. Then three officers went into a black area and started throwing eggs around because they were mad at prostitutes and drug dealers. Gainesvile police officers stopped them two times, but they continued. The solid blue line at work. If you or I had done it, we would have been arrested the first time, and charged with hate crimes. Immediately after this, Botsford announced he was retiring. Botsford was a figure in my case because I complained to him that the two cops, but especially Whitney Stout, were driving on the lane too fast. Botsford wrote back that he was aware that our lane was rather rough and therefore the appropriate speed would be whatever the lane allowed. Nice, aye? No wonder the "Gainesville Sun" got off its knees long enough to note that some people worried that there was a culture of criminality at the police department.
The second figure was Judge David Glant, the judge who took my guns away. His name has come up in the tragic case of a four year old girl being beaten to death by her father. Glant gave custody of the child to her father just last February, and by April she was dead. Her step-grandparents have employed the Robert Rush Law firm in Gainesville, the best one around, to look into why custody was given so carelessly to the father. I don't know if judges can order court studies in Florida, but I bet they can. They order all sorts of things. If Judge Glant had ordered social services to do a home study, certainly social services would have discovered that they had already awarded custody to the step-grandparents but had neglected to inform them.
That's the double tragedy in this case. I don't know how far this case will go. Judge Glant is a judge, and the step-grandparents may just be poor people out in the country somewhere. If you understand what Obama has done with Chrysler's "secured"
creditors, you know that he is trying to make America a land ruled not by laws, but by men. Most importantly, him. Peter "Two-Guns" Nickerson, MS, MSW at peternickerson12@yahoo.com.

No comments: