Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Hartford Auto Insurance Troubles #1

Last Thursday, my friend Chris came to my door to tell me that she had run into my truck. But it had suffered little damage compared to hers. We went outside, and she was right. My front bumper and grill were damaged but her entire left side was badly scraped and her left rear side demolished.
     Chris had been on the way to the emergency room because of extreme pain in her head. She had started down the little lane when she realized she didn't have her driver's license. She then began backing up but ended leaving her lane, crossing across the other lane, and into the left front end of my parked truck.
I took her to the emergency room and called Progressive as soon as I got back.
Progressive asked me if I called the police, and I replied, based upon all the events around America in the last years, that I hadn't because I didn't want to be shot. A bit dramatic, but very legal and maybe prescient. Who really knows? I am so tall and bulked up, that a jittery policewoman might fear for her life just talking to me. I would like to develop that later as there are disquieting things happening with the police even in the most loving town in the United States:
Brattleboro, Vermont.
     But first the accident. Chris said she had Hartford insurance, and they would take care of everything. Two years ago, a very attractive registered nurse had taken out my rear bumper as I was on my way for my first date with the One-Eyed Beauty. a gorgeous woman with only one working eye. The nurse was driving a big Cadillac Escalade, and she had MICA insurance. I can't think of a better set of circumstances to be hit by unless it would be that the nurse fell in love with me! A dream of an agent from MICA was in touch with me the next day. She took care of everything including my rental truck. She even called my body shop when I asked her to be sweet to the receptionist Amanda because I feared I had been too sarcastic when I asked if my new rear bumper was coming from Alaska by sled dog and the team ran the Iditarod. Eventually, I was so overcome by gratitude for this AMICA agent that I told her I loved her ( a lonely, poor, old man can fall in love very easily!) Not missing a beat, she replied, "I love you too,Mr.Nickerson.                                                                                              
     You can't love if you can't hate, and I am progressing to the other end of the spectrum with Hartford. It is now seven days since the accident, and Hartford hasn't called me. I spent well over an hour trying to penetrate Hartford's internal telephone system to speak to Chris's agent and to complain to Progressive about being abandoned by Hartford. How do you know for certain if a person has auto insurance and the coverage if the insurance company doesn't call you? Finally I got his number and heard his taped voice saying he would be out of the office until "Tuesday." It was Tuesday! Then a robot said he did not take messages. Now that's real customer service! Doneybrook to be continued
Peter Nickerson, 352-359-0850

No comments: