Tuesday, July 17, 2012

No Love In Islam?

Noni Darwish, a former Islamic and now a writer about the faith, claims that "love" is not mentioned in the Koran. At first, this seemed unbelievable to me, and if that is wrong, I'd like to know. I'm guessing that 
the big thing for Muslims is submission to Allah along with the hadith and then the fatwas. I believe that Muslims beleive Allah lifted Mohammed up into the heavens and what Allah said inspired Mohammed to write the Koran. I don't know if it's inspired by what Allah supposedly said or is supposedly a word for word redition of what Allah said to Mohammed. What I don't see, in all my ignorance, is a personal relationshp being emphasized with Allah as much as it is in Christianity. In a way, that's makes no sense as many Muslims pray five times a day, and Allah is always in their thoughts. Maybe, I'm just responding to all the influences I see in Islam: the idea that the Koran was written after face to face talks with God, the influence of the hadiths, which I believe is 7th Century Islamic culture, and then the many fatwas that Immans make. The Christian religion seem more of a diad - God and you. Islam is more of a triangle: Allah and you and much, much more.

No comments: