Saturday, March 2, 2013

Bigfoot Hunt #9

After reading four books back to back about Bigfoot violence toward humans, first the Indians and then the white man, I was afraid I was getting phobic. I got up having pulled a chest muscle lifting weights the night before and decided it would be a good day to get the Bigfoot fear behind me. Within ten minutes of getting into the woods, I saw my first turkey. Then I saw two does watching me. Later, I saw a very little doe watching me with her tiny, spotted fawn at her side. I happened to be talking to my daughter on the phone, and she shared with me the heart-softening delight of seeing the fawn. Eventually the mother ran off, and the tiny fawn gamely ran after her. Then I saw a ubiquitous yellow-rumped warbler. Another bird flew by but I decided I didn't have enough to time to follow him with the binocs. At one time I got out of the truck to examine some huge pine cones. My hypothesis is they came from the longleaf pine. As I stood there, I picked up movement in the bush. It was another turkey sneaking away. At dusk, I saw six more deer, all very small except for a huge deer. It must have been a buck. I have my camera screwed into a shooting stick and experimented with carrying it so that the butt was on the seat between my legs and the camera was resting against a shoulder. The stick provides a stable platform for the camera but it is ackward to use inside the truck. Of all the animals seen, I only got a shot at the first turkey, and he was just a speck in the picture. I guess I'll have to ask Bigfoot to stand in front of the truck and say cheese. There was only one other truck out in the boonies, and we stopped and talked three times. It was a guy with his girlfriend looking for a place to build a campfire. I warned them that it was too breezy, but he didn't seen to think so.Later, I was only a few hundred yards out of the woods when a fire truck went roaring by me towards the woods. I wondered if the kid had built a fire and lost control of it.
  Thinking about the fire truck the next morning, I first called the Conservation Commission number for suspicious activity. The worker referred me to the Forestry Department. I found out from that worker that there had been a stolen car burned in that area at the time I saw the fire truck, but the fire was not in the woods. I was happy to hear that. I didn't want to have to think about that tiny fawn trying to outrun a forest fire. Seeing a total of ten deer and two turkeys made it a good day even though it meant another day closer to being homeless.
 Anyone interested in looking for Bigfoot and black panthers in the Ocala Forest, please call me. Share gas expense and use my four-wheel drive. I'll make no claim if you get the million dollar video. Need to be from the Gainesville, Florida area. Call me. Pete Nickerson 352-359-0850

No comments: